11.29.2004

something amusing for a snowy monday morning. . .

yes, there was a bit of powder on the roads, so i took my ride to the opera a little slower than usual. . . but the highway seemed fine and i was becoming rather annoyed with someone in front of my who kept riding their brakes and wasn't able to decided on which lane they wanted to occupy. . . when i had the chance to pass them i felt a superior snow driver. . . but as i fishtailed onto the actual opera road, i decided to not be as cocky and took the ride even more slowly.

even driving straight through one patch i could feel my car pull from below me. i slowed down more, thinking about how i would joke about my lateness and blame it on having only front wheel drive and a bad road. however, coming around one of the many bends in the road, there were all of my coworkers. some just pulled over, and one or two more actually had skidded off the road a bit. . . they motioned to me to keep going as far as i could. among them were 3 pick up trucks and one car. . . .further up a hill was another car, skidding slightly as he tried to make it up the last bit of hill. i stopped breifly behind him (since he was in the middle of the road) but he also motioned for me to continue past him. it was a tougher start. . . i slipped a bit, but then got my car rocking and pumped my gas pedal, or brake pedal (depending on the needs) the entire way into the parking lot. as i crawled up the hill i saw people cheering me on from behind.

once situated inside, i called their cell phones to see if they needed help, but they were going to rely on one of them with four wheel drive to try and tow them out. i should note that at 8am and hour later, i haven't heard them come in yet. . . but i figure they'll call if they need help.

so, whether it's luck, something odd about my car, or my extremely good snow driving skills honed in upstate ny (my first time ever driving was on black ice). . . i'm the first into the parking lot this morning. :) whoo hoo?!

No comments: