1.30.2004

man oh man. . . do i have some catching up to do. . i may have to span this out and come back tomorrow. . .. but last weekend, the baking company was packed, and i was sitting next to a non working outlet. . . so my battery died before i had the chance to do any blogging.


me and santa fe

i've had the rather cheesy feeling of copying a sitcom lately. as i drive back and forth to work, or to a store, or a movie, i have that carrie bradshaw feeling of being in love with a city. (carrie bradshaw being the narrating character on sex in the city, where she goes on 'dates' with the love of her life. . . nyc) it was really finalized for me last weekend. i took my car into a mechanic for a decent check up. after getting it back, the mechanic (a really nice and trustworthy- or so i feel- gentleman) talked me into bringing my car in for oil changes since he doens't trust 'drippy lube' as he calls it. and his prices are no worse. . . so why not. i get to establish my car with someone who can regularly see it and monitor it. so i now have a mechanic. we share jokes about 'drippy lubes.'

the next was my second appointment with my (notice that 'my' again) chiropractor. where i was adjusted again, and made a third appointment. though i'm sure my mom would love to see 'my gynecologist' come next in the grouping. . . sorry, but no. . .

i already have a gym. . . where i get to meet with a trainer a few times as part of my membership.

then there was last sunday. jared and i usually try to hit a movie, and we had planned to, but he got called into work after so many of his coworkers called in sick. so i was left movieless. . . or so i thought. as i ran around doing some sunday type errands i contimplated seeing a movie by myself. i'd never done it before. . . and i certainly didn't want to be a lone movie watcher around a really mainstream movie with a high percentage of dates around me. . . but this was early sunday afternoon. and it was big fish- which i got the impression not many people around me were interested in seeing. so i did it. the 4:10 big fish, at a smaller theatre. it was really promising at first, only about 5 people in the theatre. . . but by the time the movie actually started, it was about 1/3 full. but it was fine. the movie was slightly disappointing. . . i guess a good story, touching, something mom would like. but not quite what i expected from tim burton. i wanted something a little darker, edgier, with surreal production designs. . . like edward scissorhands. . . but it wasn't terrible. and although i enjoyed seeing it alone. . . . i wouldn't make a habit of it. i like the company of people at movies. . . so we can enjoy it, or find it horrid together!

and today marked another important move on my half. . . i got a new mexico drivers liscense. i still have to get my plates switched. . . the dmv has to contact my loan agent to get a copy of the title or something like that. . . then i'll switch my insurance. . . . but i have a new photo id in hand. . . or back pocket. however, while stopping at the bank to have money in hand for the dmv. . . an older woman stopped behind me, got out of her car and came up to my window to ask if i was from portage county ohio. not from. . . . but kent state was there, and so was my life for about three years. she explained that her great-great-grandmother had grown up, married, and moved from there. i've seen plenty of ohio plates here. . . and other portage county ones as well. . . but i figured that it would be too weird to actually know anyone, since my ohio contacts are all kent based. but here was this woman, who wanted to make a connection. is this the universe telling me that i shouldn't bear such a grudge to that sunless state?

anyway. . the dmv here was a bit different. where it was really simple and nearly effortless with no line, and no personality in ohio. i had to show that i had the right paperwork before getting a serving number. i was 145, at window number1, where geraldine helped me. she was wearing a silver dinosaur pin that reminded me of the artwork from danny and the dinosaur and while she worked on my paperwork, another person came behind her station and dropped off some red candy which she seemed thrilled about. and a little later another worker stopped by to show her a small toy they found for her. it was a small shiny lavander alien with a toothy grimace, which supposedly represented her, geraldine, on a bad day. she showed it to me and i was allowed to hold it under the glass. my paperwork went through and she talked about my apartment building and how much my rent was, and how she recommended the place she lived in, but the top floor, where you could suck away at the heat from the tennants below as well as from the sides, and save on your heating bill. but i asked about the heat in the summmer, and she said that her air conditioner fixed that. i don't know where i thought i had heard that air conditioners weren't in wide use in santa fe. . .. but apparently geraldine lived by hers.

my inner east coastness was appalled by the visits she got from other coworkers over toys and candy. . . but my new south westness was wu-wei about it. i got to hear about an interesting apartment prospect (should i need one in the future) and had a nice conversation with the 'lady behind the glass at the dmv.' not something one would get on the east coast. . . or ohio.

No comments: