1.30.2004

i've gone cold turkey. . . not because i tried to necessarily . . . but out of a situation that arose. the heart palpatations have subsided. . . but i'm still listless, and i've found myself going to sleep about an hour earlier than normal without my fix . . . . my fix being harry potter. it started out innocently enough. i borrowed the first two book from my brother over thanksgiving, and returned them to him at christmas. i then took the next two back with me. i was amazed at the size of them. the third is somewhere around 500 pages, the fourth in the 700's. i figured the two would tied me over, no problem. i first read al franken's lies and the lying liars who tell them . . . great book, which reminds me, i'll have to report on it sometime soon. i decided, before getting into culture of fear, or some other more cerebral book that i have, i would reward my 'smart' reading with a fun read of the third harry potter.

it went by so quickly! and i found that although the plot was full and interesting, the actually part about the prisoner (as mentioned in the title) didn't really transpire till that last hundred pages or so. . . which was all about talky exposition. . . while the rest of the book was really packed with action, mystery, out and out fun. . . . but then this slight let down of wordy explaination. it's still a good story though, and i'm now anticipating the movie even more. . . . but i was anticipating the next bit of story a little too much, and instead of waiting to have another 'smart' read and rewarding myself with the fourth harry potter i dived straight into the harry potter.

i should embarrassingly explain my slight (oh who am i kidding) my huge crush on one of the characters in the third book. (there something about wearing underwear with a picture of a cartoon cat with a feather coming out of it's mouth and the caption 'bad kitty' that makes me feel fine about revealing embarrassing details) damn! don't you hate those crushes. . . . damn fiction crushes! there was richard meyhew for a bit, from neverwhere and r2d2 (hey! back off! he's short -an advantage in my case- quiet, and he fixes everything. anytime the rest of the star wars crew is in dire need, r2 whips out some gadget and is able to resolve whatever it is. . . it also makes you think of the other fun gadets he may have in his arsenal. . . . hmmmmm) anyway, the fiction crushes are almost as bad, but not quite as bad as cartoon crushes, of which i know i've had many, but i can only think of vampire hunter d (from the same titled anime) and haku from spirited away and i seem to remember that the beast after turning human in disney's beauty and the beast was a looker. and now i'm wondering if dream from sandman counts as a cartoon, or fiction crush anyway. . . .

yeah, i think professor lupin is hot! i'm hoping that although i don't recognize the actor's name who plays him in the movie. . . that he depicts the right strength and serenity that i expect from that character. we shall see!

moving on. . . . yeah, i dived into book four, and couldn't stop myself. i even started experiencing the media hyped harry potter headaches that kids were getting from trying to read too much too quickly. but it all came to an abrupt halt sunday evening. around midnight. . . . which puts me at 4 days 18 hours and 37 mintues without harry potter. one of my friends here says she has the fifth book, and she'll bring it into work for me. . . . but she's having trouble finding it. so, without potter to read, i've been finding tv very bland. i've spent more time at the gym, and i've gone to bed an hour earlier each night, which has lead to some rather weird dreams.

today being day four, and me having to spend about an hour at the dmv, i broke down and started reading another book from my list. it's ok. my friend promises that i will find it very interesting. . . but i can't help but wonder if my time would be better spent helping my friend clean her apartment so we can uncover the fifth book's hiding place. maybe i'll call her. . . . no. . . no. . . restraint! must. . . . not. . . let. . . potter. . . take . . . . over!

but if you only knew how they left the fourth book. . . i kept thinking to myself, there seems to be a lot of story left, but few pages. . . . will it end abuptly, like the last and tie everythin up with words and a bow? or will this be a cliff hanger? damn them. . . they left it as a cliff hanger, and the heart palpatations began. . .

it does make me wonder. . . the book is about a boy, who finds out he comes from a wizarding family, and he himself is a wizard. could these books be as dangerous as the christian coalition would have you believe? could they be bewitched? why else would i be having so much anxiety over getting the next copy in my hand so i can devour it mentally? ok. . . maybe, it's just a fun story, a new kind of fairytale for a newer generation. . . . with a winning protagonist, and the fact that i can read 700 pages in a couple of days makes me feel smart and accomplished. enough said.

No comments: