11.19.2003

i had this song, or this one line from a song stuck in my head through the end of yesterday. . .

"holding to the ground as the ground keeps shifting"

it's from a really beautiful song. . . called, "holding to the ground." it is sung by the character trina, in the show falsettos. . . or march of the falsettos. it was one of the last shows i worked on while in virginia. . . it might be that an email from a friend there sparked the memory. . . but with so many friends, family members, and myself in transition situations. . . . the lyrics speared into another level of understanding. . .

true, the show is about something else completely. . . but maybe not entirely. the show focuses on a family. the patriarch of the family, marvin, discovers that he is gay and divorces his wife in order to live out his own lifestyle. ------oooooh. . . . maybe the massachusettes supreme court's decision from yesterday (that a ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional) also played a camio part in the surfacing of this lyric!------------ anyway. . . the family transforms and includes trina's new husband, trina and marvin's son, and marvin and his partner whizzer. . . as well as a couple of (singing) "lesbians from next door"

it's a really great show. .. the songs are hilarious, touching. . . and sometimes downright sad. towards the end, whizzer is found to be sick with some 'new disease'. . . and everyone is visting him in the hospital. trina sings a hearfelt solo. . .----- in our production, i felt our trina (christa!) was astounding. . . . and i think the sound of it on the recorded soundtrack is really nice. . . . but christa's was somehow more full and emotive. . . but maybe that came from seeing her as well.

anyway. . . . i wrote down the lyrics. . . from memory, though i don't know how accurate they are. . . i think you can see how it probably fits into your life completely. . . but not really. i only wish there were a way to show tone, inflection, pauses and sustains. . . but maybe you'll have to hear it for yourself sometime.


holding to the ground

I was sure growing up I would live the life my mother assumed I'd live

Very jewish very middle class and very straight
Where healthy men stay healthy men and marriages were long and great

I smile, I don't complain
I'm trying to keep sane as the rules keep changing
Families aren't what they were
thank god there's a husband and a child that I adore.

But then there's more, so many more,

there's always more

life is never what you planned,

life is moments you can't understand.
And that is life.

I'm plain, I don't astound.
I hold to the ground as the ground keeps shifting
keeping my balance square

Trying not to care about this man who marvin loves.

But that's my life, he shared my life
Yes that's my life.

life is never what you planned,

life is moments you can't understand.
And that is life.

Holding to the ground as the ground keeps shifting

trying to keep sane as the rules keep changing

Keeping up my head as my heart falls out of sight.

Everything will be alright
Everything will be alright




"and we'll be saying a big hello to all intelligent life forms everywhere . . .and to everyone else out there, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys."

No comments: