1.30.2007

how do i explain the socks?


so, the days and weeks have been long around here.

haven’t had much trouble getting to sleep, and actually, i’m really craving some time off, but i don’t think that i’ll be getting any soon.

anyway, one day last week i came home really tired. i started getting into my pj’s when i realized that i had left my phone all the way back at school in my office. and as hard as i tried, i realized i couldn’t make it through the night without my phone- i do use it as an alarm to wake up in the morning.

putting my pants back on wasn’t as bad as i thought. but then it came to my socks and shoes. wasn’t gonna put the sweaty socks back on, and i wasn’t going to put on a fresh pair of socks and dip them back into the sweaty shoes. . . what to do? i pulled out a pair of fluffy brightly striped comfy socks. . . and grabbed my flip flops.

so there i am, driving back to school in my work clothes and a pair of fluffy pink, purple, green, and blue striped socks, and a pair of pink flip flops.

does anyone else but me worry about the ramifications of dying in a fiery car crash- or any car accident really, on a regular basis? seriously. what would people think? what would the police report say? woman in black zip up sweat shirt, a pair of carpenter’s work pants, a set of wrenches attached to a belt loop, brightly rainbow colored fuzzy socks, and flip flops found dead at the scene.

would the appearance of the fuzzy socks sit in the minds of my friends and family as a lasting unsolved quirk in my passing? would they wonder where i was headed with such unappealing and unusual footwear? would i be buried with a new pair of fun colored fuzzy socks? would extraneous pairs show up on my tombstone on my birthday? would the site of fuzzy socks then make my mom all weepy?

does anyone else worry about this other than me?

anyhoo. . .

lucky for me, i was caught by a handful of students on my way out of the school. they commented on my socks, to which i told the quick story of the sweaty shoes and needing my phone, and then flip flopped back out to my car to go home.

no crash. . . all good, and an explanation existed in the world, should it be needed.


1 comment:

JohnXIV said...

I am constantly worrying about leaving a dignified corpse! Seriously I think about it way too much, I should see a therapist.